Thursday, August 23, 2007

What Was I Afraid Of?

I’d never really thought of myself as a technophobe until my friends started trying to suck me into their digital world.

Here, borrow this movie.
I don’t have a DVD player.

Text me your address.
I don’t text.

Be my friend on MySpace and Facebook. Join my network on LinkedIn.
I don’t use those sites.

I’ve had enough of these conversations in the last two months to make me wonder. I’d never consciously avoided technology. (With the exception of the DVD player. I can’t get one of those because my brother told me I had to. Don’t ask.) I just never prioritized it. And with the advent of the new frugal Kelly a few years back, a lot of these things just seemed like expenses I could live without. Then I met Maggie.

Back in July Maggie bet me $10 that I’d be “texting like a fiend” before we left Georgia. I cracked eleven days later. Not long after that she invited me to join her professional network on LinkedIn. It didn’t seem intelligent to turn down an opportunity to make more business connections. Then she sent me an invitation to be her friend on Facebook. How can you say no to being someone’s friend?

And that’s how they get you. I spent a large portion of yesterday waiting for a guy to come set up high-speed internet in my apartment . . . a first for me. Of course, since the internet people are connected to the cable people, he didn’t show up when he was supposed to. For one brief moment I thought maybe I should just cancel the whole thing. Then I realized that my Facebook profile really needs some work and I found myself demanding that they come as soon as possible.

I’m not quite positive how this all happened, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to blame Maggie. If you have any other ideas, feel free to text me.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I feel your pain. I still avoid Facebook et al mostly because I've never been part of the in crowd and wouldn't know how to function. However, I have been sucked into texting. I've discovered it's a great way to flirt and not put your heart into it and I was disturbed to find myself as prolific as my younger siblings in texting lingo.

Kelly said...

I was shocked by how addicting texting is. One note of caution: beware of texting while driving!

RobRoy said...

You also should not text in the shower. I can't stress that enough!