Friday, November 30, 2007

T Minus 21

So, three weeks from today another moving van will pull up outside my door and a lovely group of individuals will proceed to pack all my earthly goods into identical cardboard boxes that I can only hope will be recycled. Honestly, when you have as much stuff as I do, and you move every six months, and the movers show up with what appear to be brand new boxes each time, and you have some modicum of environmental awareness, it’s hard not to wonder where all that cardboard winds up.

I knew all along that six months would go by in the blink of an eye. Everyone kept telling me that; I even told myself that. But now that I’m getting ready to go apartment hunting in Connecticut, I see how right everyone was. I don’t have all that angst-ridden longing I had as I planned my departure from California. I can’t think of a single thing I would have liked to have done in Atlanta that I haven’t done. (Full disclosure: before moving here I couldn’t think of a single thing I wanted to do in Atlanta.) Now that I’ve seen the new World of Coke, Babyland General (the place where Cabbage Patch Kids are from), and the Braves play at Turner Field, I can’t for the life of my imagine what else there is.


As I start this process all over again, the one very valuable lesson that comes to mind is that I need to make sure to see the actual apartment I’m renting, not just the model. Perhaps this would have prevented the confusion about where the first floor is and is not. That said, I’ll do my best to find suitable accommodations for all of you already planning your trips to the northeast.

4 comments:

RobRoy said...

And what will we be seeing in Conn.? And will we be taking pictures? And why are we using this for of address, when in truth all questions should be labelled "you"?

Courtney said...

logistically, how does all this moving and packing work? Do you rent a furnished apt? Can't wait to come to the Wild! (See Madagascar.)

Kelly said...

No furnished apartments for me. I leave no dish behind.

I like to think of it as turtle style: wherever I go, I always have my entire home with me.

Kelly said...

And, as for what I'll be seeing in Connecticut . . . not much. I like to think of CT as desirable not so much for what it has to offer, but more for its proximity to other desirable locations.