Thursday, December 03, 2009

Enough Sense to Come In

One of the things I love about living in Stamford is that I get to indulge my city-living fantasies, while enjoying the comforts of suburbia. Transit strikes have no effect on my morning commute. I can still see the stars at night. And when I go to the store, I can buy as many heavy items as I like since I’ll just be putting them in the trunk to transport them home. On the flip side, pretty much everything I need is within reasonable walking distance from my apartment. Library? Check. At least a dozen restaurants? Check. Shopping mall? Check. Train station? Technically, check; but the prospect of walking under I-95 keeps me from trying that one.

Last night I walked to the mall to do a little Christmas shopping. While I was there, I noticed there was a watch shop, so I decided to ask them how much it would cost to size the watch I was wearing. This is the watch I received as a ten-year anniversary gift from my employer. For more than a year this watch has been close to falling off since it is so large. I’ve considered taking it to a jeweler, but hadn’t because I am so che . . . make that financially responsible. It cost $10 and took less than 5 minutes, and now my watch fits like a watch instead of a bangle. Yes, I’m feeling a little silly for not having asked the question sooner.

I finished my shopping and exited the mall to head home, when it hit me. Make that, the rain hit me. Turns out there is a down side to this pseudo-urban life, and it involves standing on a corner with no umbrella, waiting for the world’s longest light to change.

3 comments:

Seth Ollerton said...

Kelly,
Could you send me your new address? My address book doesn't get updated as much as you move, so please send it to abbieollerton@hotmail.com. I hope the move went well and you are enjoying your new home! Abbie

daria said...

So glad you like it in CT - and that you're being pleasantly surprised by your locale. :)

Kaija said...

love this post :)