Friday, April 22, 2011

A Dog’s Life

Walking down my block the other night, I couldn’t help but notice a golden retriever out for a stroll with his human friend.  He caught my attention because of how often he stopped to sniff things, and how long he attempted to linger when he did.  The person on the other end of the leash kept urging him forward, trying not to break her already slow stride.

I arrived home and collected my mail, and then, as I was waiting for the elevator, I heard a woman’s voice saying, “C’mon.  We’re home.”  I looked toward the door and saw that same golden retriever splayed on the sidewalk in front of the building, while the woman tried to talk him into standing up and coming inside.  I’m still wondering if he was lying down in protest, insisting on staying outside because it was such a nice night.  Or, had the day been so long that he simply couldn’t go any farther?  I know that feeling, but what I’ll never know is what that sweet doggy was thinking.

3 comments:

daria said...

I vote for protest.

We had a pug visit for Easter (my sister was babysitting for her bosses' dog - yes, two bosses, a divorced couple who has shared custody of a dog). I've never actually wanted a dog before - what a sweet little dog, and Phil loved her (he stuck his face in her fur - I hope he was kissing her but it might have been biting, though he has no teeth yet). Cutest thing ever. So maybe we'll actually get a dog, when Phil is a little older. :)

Kelly said...

Sounds like Phil is definitely a dog person! And I'm sure he was kissing.

I see so many cute dogs each day that I find myself contemplating adopting one more and more often. But I just don't feel right about keeping a canine in a small NYC apartment with no grass in sight.

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

Aw! I'm so so excited for our puppy. I think the doggy was protesting too. Especially since it was trying so hard to prolong it. :)