Tuesday, November 15, 2016

What do we do now?

I consider myself as somewhat politically active; I always make it to the voting booth (even for mid-terms) and I talk about policy with people who agree with me. I think it’s safe to say that I need to do more. I see a lot of acquaintances bouncing back and forth through the stages of grief: shock, anger, rejection . . . not quite making it to acceptance yet. I’m adding one more voice to the many others detailing positive steps we can all take to move forward.

Protest. And just in case there’s any doubt about how I feel about this, I mean peacefully. Physical assault and intentional destruction of property yield neither the moral high ground nor political progress. I am all for marching, sign waving, sitting in, and loving in. Just keep your hands to yourself. As a side note, has anyone else noticed how much press coverage violent vs. non-violent protests get? No, I still don’t condone it.

Call congress. Don’t just call your congress person, call all your elected officials. Yes, call, don’t write. (But if it’s a choice between writing a letter or doing nothing, please write!) If you can get a bunch of people to call about the same issue, that’s even better. Get contact info here. Not sure what to talk about? One pressing issue would be the appointment of Steve Bannon. I worked as a canvasser for a lobbying organization, and one of the most common conversations I had was around letting elected officials know what you care about. All they know is that they won; they don’t know what issues you actually care about until you tell them. I was fired from that job twice, so maybe I wasn’t very good at explaining that.

Get a job. The new administration needs to fill roughly 4,000 jobs. If you are a smart, thoughtful person and at all qualified or interested in any of these positions, I beg you to look into them. I realize that entering the belly of the beast won’t be palatable to everyone but you could be like Peeta and give the rest of us an early warning when crap’s going down. (Without all the unfortunate brainwashing and subsequent murderous tendencies.)

Donate. Whatever issue you care about, there is an under-funded non-profit that’s fighting for it. You can start with the issue you’re most passionate about, find an organization, and set up a recurring donation. Or you can pick a different recipient each month. Not sure where to start? Here’s one good list of charities. Or you could just start with the Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit committed to combatting hate, intolerance and discrimination; or Propublica, an independent non-profit news agency.

Volunteer. Don’t let your wallet be the only one that shows up. Commit your time to your community. I’ve been half-heartedly scrolling the New York Cares website (a local aggregator of volunteer opportunities) since I got back into town but now I’ve committed that I will sign up for an ongoing project before the end of this month. If you want help finding a volunteer opportunity that matches your passion and your geography, let me know. That’s totally my jam.

Make dinner. Don’t just make dinner, but invite someone different from you to share it. When was the last time you shared a meal with someone whose political beliefs were different from your own (other than that work happy hour or church potluck)? One of the reasons we’ve become so divided is that we’ve just stopped talking. So eat ramen with a Republican, dim sum with a Democrat, and ice cream with an Independent. Isn’t that something we call all get behind? 

No comments: