Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My life as a Time Life Operator

There was a time not so long ago when the only people you ever saw sporting a telephone headset were those friendly operators who were standing by to take your order. Many of them were named Judy. But alas and alack, Judy no longer has a corner on the headset market.

I fought it as long as I could. I used speakerphone. I booked conference rooms. I held the receiver between my ear and shoulder. I’ve officially ceded the point: I use a headset. The office I work out of makes the typical town library seem like a Metallica concert. There are mime conventions that are louder. That pretty much rules out putting any call on speaker. I occasionally still go the conference room route, but it really hampers my productivity to be away from the computer for that long. (Don’t hate me because I multi-task.) And, as the calls become longer and more frequent, holding the phone with my shoulder just stopped being practical and started being painful.


So now I spend a large part of my day looking like I’m about to offer you a set of Ginsu knives for ordering now. I didn’t realize how much pent-up aggression I had toward the headset until it came up in casual conversation last week. It surprised me a little; but, now that I think about it, a headset is just another way to be chained to my desk. Literally. And that’s never a good thing.

4 comments:

denise @ little ant design said...

I'd like to order the 537 disc set of Air Supplies greatest hits. My four easy payments of 89.99 are in the mail

RobRoy said...

Congratulations. You've just taken your first step into a larger world. I will call you Judy from now on.

'Course, I'm a writer, so keeping my fingers of fury free to work their magic is a must. Headsets rule all.

Kelly said...

Denise--Make sure to make those checks payable to "Cash."

RobRoy said...

That funny, since my friends call me Cash.