Monday, September 27, 2010

Every Day has a Snag

Sometimes it’s literal.

Today was my first day at my Big New Job. I planned my outfit the day I received the offer. I borrowed a purse from my mother to accompany said outfit. (How cool/sad is it that my elderly mother has better accessories than I do?) I watched the weather as I was getting ready this morning, and heard the weatherman say, “If it’s already sprinkling where you are, it’s going to be raining harder soon.”

As I stepped outside my building, I noticed it was sprinkling. A few minutes later, it really started to come down. And sideways. By the time I got to the subway, my feet were soaked, and I could wring out my hair. When I left the subway, it was even worse.

My hair was mostly dry by the time I had a new badge photo taken, but it wasn’t cute. The bottom half of my dress dried out sometime during lunch. It was a little after that time that I looked down and realized that I had two large runs in my pantyhose. They both started in the foot, curved up the ankle, and went all the way up the outside of my leg. Why, for the love of pagan holidays was I wearing hosiery? Well, it was the first day and I didn’t want to push the boundaries of casualness. Yah, ‘cause wearing nylons with giant visible runs makes such a better impression.

By the time I left the office, the rain had mostly cleared up. And then, walking home from the subway, my shoe fell off mid-stride. And before I knew what had happened, my practically-naked foot was on a wet New York City sidewalk, and then it was back inside my new red shoe. And now I will forever think of that shoe as contaminated.

Tomorrow, there will be no hose.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Isn't it ironic...

in a completely different part of the country, on the same exact day a friend of my lived your very same day... well sort of :)

http://reblindsey.blogspot.com/2010/09/yup-that-was-monday.html

I had a great day traveling home from the Islands ;)

Kaija said...

I hope today is a brighter day. But there is something poetic of such a first day. Things can only get better :) I'd love to hear about your new job in an email or something!

Kelly said...

Courtney: The one thing that can take any bad day to a whole nother level is responsibility for a sick child. So glad I only have to take care of me!

K: Thanks! In all fairness, it really wasn't that bad of a day. But it was kind of comically bad. Does that even make sense?