Monday, June 27, 2011

Man, I’m Good

But it poses a problem.
I recently launched a new product at work.  The one detail that wasn’t nailed down was a name for this glorious thing.  In my infinite wisdom, I decided to hold a contest, soliciting input from far and wide.  To encourage people to send in their best ideas, I offered a $10 gift card for the person who submitted the winning name.  We narrowed down the options, and then held a round of blind voting to determine the winner. 
Voting ended in a tie.  I can deal with that.  The real problem?  The two names that are tied to win were both submitted by yours truly.  Which is nice.  Kind of.  But it does make for a very awkward congratulations message out to the team.  How exactly am I going to word that?  “Thanks for all of your great ideas, but it turns out mine were better.”  I think I need to keep working on that.

6 comments:

daria said...

Ha! That's awesome!! Clearly you were hired for your marketing genius.

If someone can break the tie, give them the g/c. Or give it in a random drawing.

Laws in Virginia said...

Thanks for the laugh!

Coral Rose said...

I would go for "I'm flattered that my suggestion was chosen, and I'd like to thank you all for your input and help." And then, I'm with the previous commenter - give the gift card in a random drawing. :-)

Kelly said...

This is a prime example of why it's so important to have smart friends. Every entry is going into a random drawing for the gift card. Yeah! Thanks for the ideas!

Kris said...

Forget the random drawing. Figure out which entrant you need the to do the most sucking up to, and give them the credit for your submission along with the $10 gift card.

If you're not going to keep the money, you should get something out of it.

BTW I'm kidding of course (sort of).

Kelly said...

Ah Kris, clearly you've been playing corporate politics just as long as I have. In that same vein, one of my colleagues suggested that I should claim a secret award mutliplier that made the prize $50 instead of $10 since I ran the contest and won it. If only.