Monday, January 28, 2008

And I was Worried it was a Stranger

To the white, male, middle-aged business traveler flying from Detroit to State College late Friday evening, the appropriate usage of the term “It’s just me” is governed by two constraints: 1) there is some question about your identity by a second party 2) you and the second party are fairly-well acquainted. Am I the only one who plays by these rules?

I found myself in the Detroit airport late Friday night; headed home after a week of corporate indoctrin . . . oops, I mean training, in Orlando. I was not in my best state of mind for travel, exacerbated by many things, not the least of which were the head cold I picked up from my colleagues and the eight-minute sprint I’d just completed between terminals. (When the flight attendant says “You might make it if you run,” you run. At least I’d had the foresight to change into a pair of sneakers before boarding my flight in Florida.)

Luckily, the flight was delayed while we waited for the crew to arrive. (Not a sentence anyone’s likely to use very often.) The gate area was fairly empty, so I sat down at the end of a double row of chairs where only one other person was sitting. I’m talking a line of 15 chairs, with another 15 backed up to it; a woman reading on one end and me on the opposite end. There were three or four similarly populated rows in the near vicinity.

So, I’m sitting in my self-imposed, semi-quarantine (due to the above-mentioned cold), when my chair shakes and something bumps my shoulder. I employ the standard half turn to see what it is, and see that a gentleman has settled in directly behind me. Interesting seating choice, but that’s not the strange part. Apparently he noticed me turn, and responded with, “It’s just me.” I waited for a moment then shot a quick glance back to see if a) he was talking on the phone or b) it was someone I knew. No, on both counts. Now, I don’t really care that he sat that close to me (hope he enjoys this cold as much as I am) or even that he bumped me a little (it’s an airport, it happens). But “It’s just me!???!?!” I can’t overlook that.

6 comments:

Christina said...

Well expressed, Kelly. I love that you can take a few seconds of life and turn it into an extremely entertaining (albeit aggravating) story.

Kelly said...

Isn't that how you and I made all those years in Provo entertaining? Looking back, I'm not sure that anything all that noteworthy happened, but it's all in how you tell it.

Courtney said...

Why the question marks? You were in Detroit. 'nuf said. :)

The Duncan Family said...

Thank you so much for the darling dresses!! I love them. A thank you note has been written, but not made it to the mail yet. I promise it is coming one day. I can't wait for her to wear both dresses.

RobRoy said...

And where are my darling dresses!?

Sheesh.

Kelly said...

Rob, you just don't have the legs anymore to pull off a darling dress!