Wednesday, April 28, 2010

One Step Closer to Homelessness

One of the things I’ve noticed as I’ve moved from state to state is that no two areas have the same rental rules. I’ve also noticed that every landlord assumes their rules are universal. Apparently, the norm in Fairfield county Connecticut is to demand 60 days notice before vacating. This has become an issue for me.

I’ll back up. Since I moved back to Connecticut, I’ve been going through train tickets to Manhattan like people with halitosis go through mints. (Or at least like I wished they went through mints. And gum. And toothpaste. And floss). In other words, I’ve spent an amount of time in the city that some may deem excessive. It draws me in. I may have actually confessed at one point that I’ve become obsessed with it. So back and forth I go. My inner 9-year-old says, “If you love it so much, why don’t you just marry it?” Since land mass-human nuptials are currently frowned upon, I’m doing the next best thing: moving there.

And there’s where the problem comes. I’ve recently begun the search for an apartment. Even with all my experience in this field, I knew it would be different this time. For one thing, this move will be indefinite. (Yikes! The last time I did this was six years ago.) For another thing, well, this is an area that considers a fifth-floor walkup completely reasonable and 500 square feet spacious. All that aside, what really freaks me out is that there’s no lead time. See an apartment you like? Great! Plan on your lease starting tomorrow.

So, I’ve made my peace with not having an address. I’m giving my 60 days notice on my current place this week. And I’m just going to have to trust the universe that I won’t wind up living in my car.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Kelly, you're awesome!! And your writing CRACKS ME UP!!!!

The Duncan Family said...

Oh, I am jealous. When we come to New York, it looks like you will be our guide.

Kaija said...

good luck! i'm so excited for you and your love affair with manhattan. i have close family in midtown if you end up needing a place to crash for a short period of time. ENJOY THE SEARCH!

Kelly said...

Thanks all! I'm polishing my tour guide skills, so feel free to come test me anytime. Of course my tours consist of things like, "Wow, that tall building is cool. Oh, look . . . a bakery!"

daria said...

Sending positive mental vibes to Manhattan landlords. Ohmmmm.... inexpensive, roomy, clean second floor apartment with utilities included, ohmmm... you won't have live in your car, ohmmm...