Friday, June 11, 2010

It’s Official

There have been many moments in my life that seemed to point to nerdiness. Several years on the math team come to mind. Or the fact that my books and CDs are alphabetized. Or that I know to the penny how much I’ve spent every single day for the last 11 years. Today I’ve taken it to a new level.

If all goes according to plan (and that’s a capital I, capital F), I’ll be moving in 13 days. The apartment I’m hoping to move into is approximately half the size of my current place. So, over the course of the last four weeks I’ve been donating, gifting, and posting on craigslist. (By the way, if you know of anyone looking for a patio table or a treadmill, let me know.) I think I’m down to an amount of stuff that will fit. Make that, I hope I’m down to an amount of stuff that will fit.

To test this theory out, I started creating different furniture configurations in my mind. Then I moved those configurations into PowerPoint. Then I measured my furniture to verify I had the dimensions right, and built a 1:25 scale drawing of the new apartment. None of the configurations seemed quite right, so I’ve now created a paper doll version of my scale model. My parents will be visiting this weekend, and I have every intention of putting my mother’s creative mind to work on my layout. I picture us having a lovely time rearranging paper cutouts on my scale floor plan until we have something that’s just right. Then, as I cut out little shadows of my furniture, it hit me.

I’m definitely a nerd.

7 comments:

Kaija said...

I LOVE IT! I wish I could be there to help model your new place with you. Next time we are in New York -- I'll definitely stop by for a visit! I miss you too!

Courtney said...

Confession: I love using excel and word to make forms: Chore charts, schedules, budgets, grocery lists, etc. My second favorite thing is make graphs, charts, and reports in Quicken of where I've spent my money for the past 12 years! I love creating sub-categories. I just built my first website. Trust me, I know geek. It took hours in front of the computer, but c'est magnifique! (in my humble opinion.) www.tourdemtngreen.com Good luck with the move. I'm tempted to visit the big apple and the american doll store with A for her birthday!

daria said...

I love to lay out rooms using graph paper. It saves so much energy (and Advil/Tylenol).

I definitely am not as organized as you are financially, however.

Christina said...

I need aforementioned address to send your belated birthday card that I managed to buy in between grandma's funeral, new niece's birthday and fedexing my mom's driver's license to her because a temple recommend will do a lot of things, but it won't get you on a plane.

Kelly said...

So it sounds like I should take comfort from the fact that I'm not alone in my nerdiness. And my plan worked: my mom helped me finalize the layout for my big furniture pieces. And, as an added bonus, she's been thinking about decorating ideas for my new place ever since she left.

Tammy said...

I'll take your treadmill! Of course, if you find someone else who wants it who lives in the same time zone don't hold it for me..

Kelly said...

Thanks Tammy! If only I would have seen your comment earlier I would have . . . wait a minute . . . I wouldn't have done anything! Thankfully I was able to get rid of everything!